Search This Blog

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Carrot Cake


For as long as I can remember, when we were kids, my sister and I loved going grocery shopping with my mom to Concord Foods, only to buy their delicious, over sized carrot muffins and eat them as we were shopping! We always knew that they were one of the few carrot desserts made without nuts. And since we were, and still are both allergic to nuts, we were safe!

A few years ago, when I tried my friend Lisa's homemade carrot cake, the taste immediately triggered those same flavours! Bingo! Thanks Lisa for the delicious recipe. I no longer need to purchase muffins at Concord, I now make them myself!

Below is the recipe...

Carrot Cake
4 cups of grated carrots
4 eggs
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 1/3 cup oil
1 cup white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon

Grate carrots and set aside.

Process eggs with sugar for 1 minute. While machine is running, add oil through feed tube. Process 45 seconds longer. Add carrots and process for 8-10 seconds, until blended. In a bowl, combine dry ingredients. Add dry ingredients to batter. Process with 3 or 4 quick on/off turns, just until flour disappears.

Pour batter into a well greased 9” x 13” baking pan. Bake at 325 F for 45 minutes to an hour.

For Muffins-fill muffin tins ¾ full with batter. Bake at 325 F for 20 minutes.


Grate carrots and set aside

Add remaining wet ingredients, then add dry ingredients...

WARNING...DO NOT REMOVE KNIFE FROM BOWL BEFORE POURING OUT BATTER! Otherwise, you might end up with this mess! (Thank goodness Adrienne was over as a spectator as I was baking for many reasons....to help me find a bowl and a measuring cup to pour the mess into, and to take the picture of course!

Generously spray pan with non-stick cooking spray. (I usually make this recipe in a 9" x 13" rectangular baking dish, but I decided to change it up this time!)

I had some leftover batter, so I also made some mini muffins!

The perfect snack to have while watching Glee!
BONE Appetit!
What's that you said? You want more?
Come a little closer!
The cake "turned out" so well onto my new 3 tier Snap 'N Stack Cookie and Cupcake Carrier! Thanks Jason and Kim!
Before serving, sift some icing sugar through a sieve to make it look pretty!

Serve with a nice, tall glass of milk.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. A. Miriam's Carrot Cake - imma let you finish... but Melissa makes the best carrot cake of ALL TIME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shirel said...
    Love it! I want to know how all your baking ingredients are organized because mine are becoming a huge mess.

    Kathy said...
    I took your cake to work, showing off. Everyone loved it and now I have the recepie to give to my friends try it myself. As a matter of fact I will make it to eat at the end of the fast.

    Andrea said...
    yummy!!! Carrot cake is JOrd's dads favorite. will def. try it. Know a good cream cheese icing recipe???

    Marnie said...
    Looks delicious - great that you're finally in the pics! :)

    Shelley
    That looks delicious but right now after Rosh H. I cant look at anything else sweet at least for a week.

    Elise said...
    Thanks for sending over the recipe! Let me know if you want a good Fall season recipe....my pumpkin spice loaf (or muffins) are ridiculously easy to make, and are a hit for every bake sale I take them to.

    Judy said...
    I also LOVE carrot cake and muffin. Thanks for the recipe Mel. I will make it the next time my girlfriends come over for coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This carrot cake recipe is delicious! It is much lighter and moister than store bought cakes. I made it last night for our anniversary. I added a cup of dark chocolate chips once the liquid and dry ingredients were combined. It was very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping by via Bakerella. Congratulations on your engagement! Best wishes for the future!

    I love carrot cake. I might need to try this recipe!

    Glee is my new favorite show. It's so addictive.

    I'm going to go become a follower now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are adorable! Congrats on the engagement to Rich, what a fantastic and exciting time. Now to your carrot cake, yumm!! My favorite. I also love my stack and carry contraption from Costco, I make cupcakes and send them to work with my hubby, as not to eat them all, and it works wonderfully. I wish you all the best, and look forward to reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete